Pages

Sunday, May 30, 2010

Peach jelly cake

This cake reminds me of my childhood. It was probably the very first one that I made myself when I was about 7 years old, without any help from my mum or granny. And many times after that... It is really easy to make and there is no need for special ingredients, everything is usually in the cupboard.
As the time progressed I learnt a lot of new recipes and improved my cooking and baking skills, and I forgot about this one. But recently I have been in nostalgic mood, so I decided to make old school peach jelly cake.
For cake you need:
175g caster sugar
175g soft unsalted butter
3 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
100ml buttermilk or thin yogurt
200g self-rising flour
Beat sugar and butter until smooth, then add eggs, one by one and beat. Add vanilla extract, buttermilk and flour and mix. Pour into lightly greased baking tin and bake in preheated oven for 175 C degrees for about 25-30 minutes. Let it cool.
For jelly you can use any suitable fruit in syrup (in tin). The best is peach, apricot or blueberry.
Take the fruit out of tin, slice and arrange onto the baked cake. Pour the syrup from tin into a measuring jug and top up with water so you have 500ml of liquid altogether. Pour the liquid in pan with 3 tbsp of caster sugar and bring it to boil. In the meantime dissolve 40g of custard powder in 100ml of water. When the liquid in pan is boiling, add the custard mixture. The jelly will thicken and become translucent. Take it from the heat and let it cool slightly. Don't forget to mix it from time to time to keep the texture smooth. Then pour onto cake with fruit and let it set for couple of hours. Little bit of whipped cream on the top compliments the flavours very well.

5 comments:

  1. This cake looks great! Did you really start cooking so early?! I didn't cook at all until I turned 23 or so :)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Alina.
    I really did, I was always atracted by food, especialy by sweets ;-) And I was lucky that my mum and granny let me develop my cooking sklils.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, that looks soooo delicious! I LOVE this kind of cakes, so refreshing and so great for summer. I'd love to have a piece right now... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it is very summery. Thanks for stopping by ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. this recipe si familiar to me, but we always spread whipped cream on the baked pastry and then we go with jelly and fruits. Beautiful and tasty :-)

    ReplyDelete